In today’s world is ruled by the spirit of competition. From an early age, our children learn to live in a situation where you have to be something most-most, or you simply do not exist. Frightening, is not it? Fortunately, in the school years, they have the opportunity to show their talents in contests and competitions, learn the coveted feeling of victory and learn to cope with failure. My interviewee today is known for its mother’s feat – Gureeva Maria and her husband are raising 7 children, but now I’m curious to know how she turns out to educate them in the interest of knowledge and scientific achievements (!).
– Tell us, please, what you mean to your experience of participating in the Olympic Games, it became interesting and important?
– The first time I went there simply because it was a good student and the teacher chose those who can participate in the regional competition. I liked that at the Olympics questions were creative, not as a school textbook, could express themselves. Besides, it was an opportunity to miss any lessons uninteresting that I did not like the type of work and fine arts, and go to your favorite biology with your favorite teacher.
In ninth grade, I was invited to the camp for the winners of the All-Russian intellectual competitions. There I met a young man who was a winner of the international Olympiad in Astronomy (then he became my husband). We got to talking, found a lot to do, and he offered to go to the high school, where he studied. There was almost no neolimpiadnikov, therefore, participate in conferences and competitions has become natural.
– How did your family feel about the fact that you go to competitions and win prizes?
– Mom and Dad were very happy. Probably, they expected that it would be, because a child saw the Study given to me easily. I had a very good memory, I did my homework for 15 minutes, memorizing everything right the first time and went into the yard for a walk. Parents are not that were against it, but were worried how courtyard effect, will fall suddenly bad company. So what I was fascinated by the Olympics and went to high school, where I had a very strong strain them happy.
– When was the first time became a vital topic Olympics or some kind of competition for someone of your children?
– Olympics begin with elementary school – mathematical “Double two” and the call for research projects. My oldest son to school for a year, being in the preparatory group of my family kindergarten, went to these contests. It was him and my desire, we just decided to try it. Also, even a preschooler, he became the winner and conferences, and the Mathematical Olympiad, competing on a par with students of first, second and even third class.
Many students were stammering, afraid to say the word, since almost cry when they ask questions, and it is very clearly defended their work, not just answering questions, even arguing, defending their point of view. Members of the Commission then noted that it was interesting to argue with him, six years as an adult child is absolutely stubbornly defends his position.
– You have a very “smart” family, you’re with her husband – experienced olimpiadniki, winners of all-Russian and international competitions. In such a family atmosphere at some of your children have a chance to not participate in the Olympic Games? It is possible to say: “I do not want any competitions and conferences”?
– Senior Three students have to be involved, they have a huge number of diplomas. About the rest I can not say anything. But “I do not want” everyone can say. No one spoke, but I believe that it is their right. And I understand that, for example, my second son with high probability after a certain time will have to make a choice. He is prizewinner of competitions in biology and mathematics, but also prize winner of competitions Ballroom and Latin Dance. Coaches say that it has all the prospects to participate in the championships of Russia, and even the world, and after a couple of years will have to make a choice: to dance or science.
– That is the only question is in which direction it will be the champion?
– I do not know if it will. Much more important is what he likes. They should not go back to where they had more chances, but where they will be good for the soul. This is their choice. I do not want them to be, we need to something or wanted to repeat our achievements. I am pro-choice. If they are now interested, happily participate in the Olympic Games – they are involved. If they say no, we are interested in the other, I do not know, making movies, or play the guitar – it is their choice.
– You talk about freedom of choice. And what more you follow the principles in the education of children?
– The principle of clarity, I use it not only to their children but also with the students in the school where I teach biology. To explain how the lungs, the alveoli work, I brought a bunch of grapes, and showed her the example that is easy: “In every grape juice a lot, and in the alveoli have oxygen.” The process of digesting food I explained by pouring acid on something and showing how it is burned. We collected the designer and I said that the cells – it blocks out of which our body is built.
Another important principle – a principle of multiple repetitions. I always talk with their children about these issues. We go through the woods, and I say: “Let’s see what events occur in the life of plants in the spring? Would you like me to explain why the snow melted around the tree, and then – no “Children always remember this information, it is interesting to learn something new?.
– It seems that you are very involved in communicating with children. I am reminded of modern parents, who use different ways to take a child with something that would not be concerned for their participation.
– I like to be with children, that’s why I went to work in the school. After working as a teacher and in administration, I can definitely say that the lessons – it is the most beautiful thing in school. It seems to me that I had with the children full contact. I do not think any of my students is afraid of me. I know that they trust me – from primary school up to 11th grade about their problems, they can always talk to me and tell. They know that I never did tell you their secret and accurately try to help.
– How do you get out of the situation when your child does not get the point at which is calculated does not reach the result he expected from himself?
– I immediately tune children that the Olympics – it does not control, which can leave a 5 if learned all that was required. Olympics – a competition of those who really passionate about the subject. If it has not reached a certain result, it does not mean that he knows is bad, it means that there is someone who had by this time more.
There is no reason to be upset, you just have to conclude that we now have such a talented, smart, wonderful guys in Moscow, you need to prepare better. On the other hand – hence, the Olympiad will be every year more and more interesting, will compete with anyone. Olimpiadniki realize that those one hundred people from Moscow, with which they compete – the best. Just out of the hundred best someone has to be the hundredth, but think how much the city tens of thousands of schoolchildren.
– You do not feel that intense competition from such an early age harm children?
– Competition harm if it is unhealthy. If the child went to the Olympics, he scored few points and then going through, upset, angry with those who scored more – perhaps it is bad. I know that even in the serious competitions in the 9-10 th grade if someone forgot the formula – it certainly prompt. Winners, losers – they are not competitors. You know, like in sports: there are rivals, but no enemies.
You know how the preparation for the All-Russian Olympiad? Children who tomorrow will leave competitors sit together and prepare, help each other deal with the challenges that those can not be obtained. Both winners and losers come together to celebrate their participation. There’s no unhealthy competition rather friendly atmosphere and the desire to strive for more, to get better.
– What practical benefits does participation in the Olympic Games?
– Even if he does not win, the Olympic Games give every child the opportunity to apply their knowledge in a non-standard conditions. Sometimes at the Olympics give tasks that scientists do not even know, and look at how a child thinks. This ability to reason, to understand, to draw conclusions, synthesize, and then makes the exam easier to write, and to apply their skills in life.
All of our lives – is a solid non-standard tasks. We must relate the totality of all the environmental factors to understand that can make a difference, to make a single conclusion and make the decision to produce the action. Perhaps the Olympics – it is the first step in the ability to apply knowledge in practice, involving all possible skills, and not just those relating to the situation “on the forehead.”
– I believe that talented students is very important to the environment, which will support and guide him in the right direction. How to search for him as mentors to help develop in the area of interest?
– It is necessary to look for a man who is so passionate about the subject, it will not just convey information, and will teach a child with enthusiasm, with joy. Where to look? Probably, in the schools. I support the idea to apply to the choice of schools very carefully. It is very important to communicate with teachers, to ask: “How do you teach? The more interesting your lessons? What are you doing on the non-standard lessons? ”
If the teacher is delighted with his work, you’ll see it right away. When the teacher begins to talk about his work, you will understand if he formally declares GEF rules learned, or actually talks about his profession as some unique awesome adventure.
– Do you think that we can advise the parents if the child demonstrates the ability in any subject, but quickly loses interest in it? He grabs something and goes out.
– Abilities have absolutely have any children. Lights on and off? This is normal. I think parents need to read books for students of «PR and advertising” – in order to understand what the child should always “promote” the area in which he has the talent.
We can captivate the child something and nurture his interest in constantly: what’s new in this area, go to the museum, to play a game – all this creates the “wow effect”. Children like the subject that they do, in which there is something interesting, where the teacher really likes children and their work. If all three factors coincide – the child will like this area.
– Not all good showing and showing himself at the Olympics then students become successful in adult life. What do you think, what does it depend?
– From the man. Each person has to find himself, his place, his job, that is what it will be interesting. And he can either find, or not.
We have gorgeous olimpiadnikov knowledge and understanding of some area. But knowledge and understanding does not always speak about success. Success consists of communicative spheres of ability to present themselves, to interact, not clash with people, to be punctual, responsible.
If a person has won Olympiad in Informatics, which means that he is very good at programming. At the same time he can not be time-management skills, he can forget orders, do not finish the project and conflict with colleagues. He writes good code, but this is not enough to be a successful programmer.
– Do you have a perfect picture of what made your children on a school period of time?
– Perfect picture – this is when the worst-case scenario for the eleventh class, at best – the eighth-ninth child comes and says clearly: “Mom, I read (see, learned) about a profession in which I dream to work with. I’m ready to free all day just to do it “my perfect future – this is a happy child who has a favorite work, which he liked, loved family, loved ones, friends, interesting and varied life.
– What do you think, to what extent the ability to find this area may depend on the parents?
– I think that a parent should not only love child (all parents love), and show that he loves him unconditionally, without any expectations. Then the child will not be afraid to make choices and mistakes. If a person has a proper degree of freedom, perhaps he will be happy. Freedom – it does not mean that the child allowed to float freely, and do not help. He must understand that the parent will never make the choice for him, but at the same time knows that at any moment it can turn to for advice, and he will not judge and evaluate, and accept and support.
Interview by Veronica Zaets